The Best of 2016
You know those times, when you have all those intentions to do so much over the holidays, and then they arrive, are almost gone, and you think ‘where did the time go?’ Well yeah, that happened, again! Oh well, had a blast. And while I did not have a chance to reflect upon the good, the bad, and the ugly of 2016, what were the greatest lessons, I did sit back and think about some of my favourite moments in 2016.
Here they are!
Top Race Moments:
1. Winning National XC Champs (I will train until my weaknesses become my strengths)
2. The Indianapolis Monumental Half-Marathon
3. The 5000m @ National Track and Field Championships (finally getting through the headaches!)
4. Winning a Silver medal at the PanAm XC Champs in Venezuela
5. Finishing my season in Finland with a 2:03 800m (with no specific speed training and missing most of the spring)
1. Nightingale – Kristin Hannah
2. Brain Training for Runners – Matt Fitzgerald
3. Shantoram – Gregory David Roberts
4. Cutting For Stone – Abraham Verghese
5. Burn Math Class: And Reinvent Mathematics for Yourself – Jason Wilkes
Top Personal Moments:
1. Taking my niece skiing with my sister for her first time on skis
2. Spending 5 weeks at the cottage with Rol (somewhat mid-construction!)
3. Going to a family wedding in the Tuscan Hills where pretty much all of my extended family on my dad’s side came!
4. Passing my PhD Comprehensive (Qualifying) Exam
Favourite Places Visited:
1. Woodside, California (Thanks Lount-Pretre Family)
2. Stockholm, Sweden
3. Viareggio, Italy
4. Caraballeda, Venezuela
5. Runaway Bay, Jamaica
6. Joensuu, Finland (seriously sitting beside the lake felt like being at the lake at home!)
Top 5 new foods experimented with (because every meal in Italy was a winner):
1. Mushroom Ragu (Thanks Chefs Plate)
2. Mushroom Barley Risotto
3. Caramel Apple Cake
4. Fresh, Homemade Bread
5. Fresh, Homemade Pasta with fresh, homemade pesto!